One thousand years of history St Mary the Virgin Denby, Derbyshire One thousand years of history St Mary the Virgin Denby, Derbyshire
A Peel of Six Bells The Tower houses a ring of six bells, which are rung regularly by an enthusiastic group of bellringers. The oldest bell was cast about the year 1380, the next between 1488 and 1525. Two bells date from 1604, one of which was a gift from Patrick Lowe (whose memorial is in the Chancel) and is very richly decorated. The remaining two are modern, being installed in 1907. This picture shows the bells in 1897 when a new bell frame was installed in the tower. The table below gives some details of each bell. The bells are rung regularly each week, but restrictions during the Covid 19 pandemic have meant that no bell ringing is possible. For further information or if you would like to learn bell ringing, please contact us.
Download a pdf document containing details of the six bells.
No 1
No 2
No 3
Note E
Note D
Note C
3cwt 2qtr 0lb (160kg)
4cwt 0qtr 20lb kg
3cwt 0qtr 26lb kg
1903
1907
1488 - 1525
No 6
No 5
No 4
Note G
Note A
Note B
9cwt 3qtr 20lb (160kg)
6cwt 1qtr 23lb kg
4cwt 3qtr 12lb kg
1604, recast 1907
1604
1380 - 1400